Saturday, June 22, 2013

Music...


Music has played a vital role in much of this process with Shaun. When he was in the hospital we played music. He calmed to music of his aquarium. The first song he really connected with a song was "Row, row, row Your Boat" with our favorite teacher at UVA. She taught him that it went this way:

Row row row your boat, gently down the stream,
if an alligator comes, don't forget to scream, "AAAHHHH!!"
She would then put Shaun's hands on his cheeks and while he could he would mimic the sound and screech too. It was beautiful.
We had music therapy through Blue Ridge Hospice to try and help him feel better. Leigh is amazing. We would mix things up a lot, from playing guitar to other musical instruments  to listening to recordings and playing with colored scarves. He loved the ocean drum the most. Our favorite songs to sing to him were "Jesus Loves You," "You are my Sunshine" and "Over the Rainbow". Every time we met we sung these. He, even up to the end, loved to feel the vibrations of  someone strumming the guitar. Ms. Erin also would play the guitar for him and sing lovely songs, "10000 Reasons" by Matt Redman being one of our favorites.
Part of my healing process has happened through the continual playing of music. The songs that mean the most to me right now, here where I am are "I can only imagine", "Homesick", "I will Rise" and "Dancing with the Angels". These are amazing songs most of being in Heaven. I pray and believe that he is having a fantastic time with his sister dancing and singing with the Angels.
Shaun's swansong is "This little Light of Mine." The name says it all. He is a little light in a darkening world. His life points to Jesus. His spirit, his love, his eyes, all show of the Father up above.
"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let him shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let him shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let him shine.
Shine, Shine, Shine."
"Shine until Jesus comes, I'm gonna let him shine.
Shine until Jesus comes, I'm gonna let him shine.
Shine until Jesus comes, I'm gonna let him shine.
Shine, Shine, Shine!"




No comments:

Post a Comment