Sunday, May 12, 2013

Daily Sufficient Grace

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

This morning when I woke up, I dreaded the day. My eyes hurt. My head ached. My soul cried. Bittersweet.  It was the first day without my youngest son - who has been a constant companion for so long.  When I woke up,  I was sad.  I didn't have alarms going off. I didn't have to give meds. I didn't get to sing "Good Morning, Shaun." It was too quiet. But as this day has gone on, I found myself more glad than sad.  This was hard for me to realize.. but it isn't because I don't desperately want Shaun to be with me. I do. But I am so glad he is free. Free of pain. Free of entrapment. His spirit so sharp yet his body so broken.  I miss him. I want him with every cell of my body. To hold him, kiss his sweet face. Oh, his face. His perfect lips. His sweet chin. The gleam in his eyes.  I loved him fiercely every moment of his life and continue to - and I realize that in loving him so much, I want the very, very best for my children.  Shaun has so long been in a broken body - and now he is able to run and laugh and play and dance with strength to match his Champion heart.  He is in the glorious presence of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. That is where those who believe in and know Jesus long to be one day.  Philippians 3 tells me that "our "citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body."  It is the grace of our loving Heavenly Father, who knows the loss of a child, that sustains me now - the hope He gives that I now cling to, knowing that this is not the end of the story for any of us. Do you know the end of your story?

It sucks to be left behind.  But our race is not finished. So we are here and we press on... one minute, one hour, one day at a time.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him... so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."  Hebrews 12:1-3

5 comments:

  1. That is a powerful, powerful place to be. Shaun's story has reached far beyond our church and our families, prayers are stretching beyond even our state, and lives are being touched with your faith. Joy is from the Lord - always - and He is blessing you for your devotion to Him. You and Shaun fought the good fight hand in hand, and never wavered. I am so proud of you, and I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We grieve with you Denise and Peter and boys, yet with the hope of knowing that Shaun is healed and in the presence of our Lord Jesus. In our sorrow is the joy of knowing that we will see him again and all our loved ones who have placed their faith in Jesus. May we find comfort in this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin shared a piece of Shaun's story with us in our CNA class and my heart felt for him greatly. When she stated that he had passed I had to turn my head as tears rolled down my face. It is never a good moment to hear that a child has passed, especially such a fighter like Shaun. Your family is in my prayers as you get through this healing process. God has a plan for you and your family. Erin said you are the strongest woman she knows amd now I definitely see why. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise - Your blog update is so encouraging!!! It is so real and yet so filled with faith and trust in our living Savior who is also waiting eagerly for each one of us! Ps. 116:15 declares "Precious" to Him is receiving each one of us into His glorious kingdom!
    Sweet niece, stay strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus! (2 Tim 2:1) Right now Steven and Scottie are watching you and your life attitude will speak louder than words to them about the reality of heaven and eternal life! Use this time to sorrow in missing Shaun balanced with that joy you expressed that he is with the Lord! I am praying you can use the 'Glory of Heaven' to share a nugget with them everyday about where Shaun is and also to encourage your own heart!! Our prayers are with you all!! Hugs, A. Robbie

    ReplyDelete