Friday, May 31, 2013

In Memory...

In memory of Shaun, last Saturday, the two week mark, I designed and went and got a new tattoo; one that will be with me forever, knowing SuperShaun is always with me. I feel like it was ok for me to do this, and I will have to answer for my decision one day but I really like it...! Some of it hurt so badly, but during the pain all I could think about was if Shaun could go through what he did, getting a trach, being in a broken body, poked repeatedly for blood draws, and do it with such grace, I could withstand this. He is a part of me forever and I will always be able to look at this and remind myself of many lessons he taught me.  It is part of my healing process.
 In Shaun's honor, I held a weighted blanket making party. There were quite a few women who showed up and we made 8 blankets to give to the PICU at University of Virginia where Shaun spent so much time. Connie, one of the ladies who made Shaun's blanket, taught me how to make them and also participated in the day. I hope to make many more of these this summer so the children may have something good come out of their hard experience. Some of the kids there don't have anyone that can stay with them. The weight will be good for them so they don't feel so alone.  This is just one of my projects for giving back. Thank you for all you do too.
I have also started running again. It has been a long time~ since I found out I was pregnant with Shaun, that I have ran. Each grueling step I take as I am getting back into shape, I can feel Shaun right there with me, pushing me and telling me that I can keep going. In Shaun's honor, I will be doing a mud race in Lovettsville, VA on June 29... a way of showing him that I am going to be healthy and can complete things that I put my mind to. The second race that I will do, in October, is to support Blue Ridge Hospice, the program our family is currently in. Proceeds go to Camp Hope, a camp for kids who have lost loved ones over the past year, help them with grief, help them know they are not alone, have a memorial service, balloon release, and a good time knowing they are not so different from everyone else. This is dear to my heart as these people in a short time have become like family to me. It is a 5k and I would love to have half the field out there with SuperShuan shirts on. If you can't race, then maybe you can sponsor someone who can. More on this race later... but keep looking for updates about the mud race in Shaun's honor.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the tattoo! I think it's a beautiful and thoughtful reminder of your champ.

    The blankets look awesome! I'm so glad to hear that so many people showed up. It makes me wish I lived closer (and knew how to sew) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned of your son through my friend Kim Hyland. Your story inspires me to keep being hopeful. What a beautiful tribute to your sweet son Shaun to run (with him beside you) and show him that He inspired you to live a full live! Bless you. You and your family are in my prayers.
    Hugs,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete