Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ode to My Grandson, Love Grandaddy


An Ode to My Grandson, Shaun Peter Steyaert
I sing of a child, who is Irish I think,
Shaun Peter Steyaert I say with a wink.
A handsome young lad with sandy blonde hair,
And a smile on his face for the love he will share.

I’ll tell of a vision before life began,
In September of ’10 the spirits of children the Savior to send:
“I have an assignment for one at my knee”, and up go the hands,
One, two, now three.
Then the Lord added this: it will be accomplished with difficulty.

There one child spirit, precious and fair,
He stood up and said as if without care,
“I love you, Lord Jesus, I beg you, send me”,
Jesus looked and he smiled at our little Shauney.

“You see, Shaun, this task for you is to show
My love through a mom, a dad and two brothers,
That all the world may know
That God in Heaven loves them so.”

He came on an anniversary, the 10th day of June
A great uncle’s passing had been much too soon.
Though happy that day it had been before,
Great grandparents married, and now all the more.

Your birth was met with such great joy
An eighth grandchild, a baby boy!
A pal for grandpas, and dad, and brothers,
A blessing for grandmas,  mama and others.

As you grew we held you with such great pride,
But began to see that something is amiss inside.
Eye contact is fleeting, and problems with growth,
Sinking feelings began as we changed our approach.

Then came doctor’s visits to see what was wrong;
We find cataracts but he still hears our song,
Swallowing problems and needs for nutrition,
We searched for answers to cure his condition.

All the long Shauney knew only growing,
He learned to roll over, his development showing.
Excited he was when visitors came,
He’d wave and he’s wiggle, give a kiss without shame.

Shaun never gave up as his condition grew worse,
Was constantly blessed to be part of his church.
The joy he spread when he saw our faces,
A reflection of joy in heavenly places.
Not a cry or a groan did I hear from his lips
But once when my glasses removed,
I scolded him “Shauney, leave them alone!”
Provoking a baby’s boo hoo.

A valiant mother, though now heart broken,
A demonstration of total devotion,
A child not complaining but bearing the pain
As modern medicine searched for knowledge to gain.

A winter of illness, of fever and distress
Hospitalized he fought his way through it, though we were a mess
Then the movements began, by his body betrayed
But the heart of a champion would not be dismayed.

The battle waged on
And as answers were found,
No cures would be offered;
He was now heaven bound.

The fateful day came,
As the disease had its way,
A frantic flight to the mecca,
“Make the seizures go away!”

But all the king’s horses,
And all the king’s men,
Could not turn the clock back
And make him whole again.

That would rest with his Creator
And with assignment complete,
It was time to fly heavenward
To be cradled so sweet.

The family was gathered,
Friends came to assist;
Two devoted brothers, loving parents
This child would be missed.

As heaven patiently awaited
Praises of faith rose from our hearts,
And a small child slipped away
From mom and dad into Christ’s arms.
So now we gather,
To celebrate his release;
To remember his gifts to us
And comfort our grief.

“Shaun’s life was in vain!”
some may say
Though in God’s kingdom
This truth remains:

He had a purpose
that fit divine plans,
And he fulfilled all required of him
as no one else can.

And what might he say
To those for whom he cares,
H would echo his Savior,
“Come be with me here!”

“You can, you know,
If you trust in the One who sent me!
You may think He was cruel, but no;
He sent me to testify to Love,
And I was glad to be His tool.”

I love you and will miss you, my little buddy! I look forward to our reunion!
Your Grandaddy

No comments:

Post a Comment