Sunday, June 30, 2013

Continuing to Inspire~ One Tough Mud Race...

Acts 20:24
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

I thought it would be good to start exercising again and running is the way I learned that helps me cope with things. Pounding the pavement, praying, singing, going to exhaustion and pushing a little further... I think "If Shaun could put up with what he had to, I can keep my legs moving a little longer."

I decided soon after he passed that I needed a goal to reach so I would keep up with running. My goal was doing a mud run. Before this, I hadn't experienced a mud run. I am addicted now. You run a set course, in my case I look for 5K's, that have obstacles thrown in. It breaks up the running, adds a new set of challenges, both physically and mentally, and is fun!

I got a team together, the SuperShaun team, to run in Shaun's honor, made up of friends, neighbors and family. We even had a cheering section. We had Joe, ,Marcy, Joyce, Me, Mike, Jeremy, Amy and Janice run. We all were at different physical levels so we did our best but came across together at the end. It was a blast. I finished 3rd overall for women, but not sure the time. The other two girls started before me so who knows what would have happened... that wasn't the point of the race though. It was to get dirty and see how far you could push yourself.   Like I said earlier, I used Shaun as my inspiration and will continue for the rest of my life.




 Slip and slide



 Mud pit





 Mud Mountain





 Supporters

I am now signed up for another mud run, LosiLu in Fredrick, MD. Shaun will continue to inspire this Momma and push me to continue fighting the good fight and racing to the end. I love you SuperShaun!!

When an athlete decides to run a marathon or race, he or she commits to serious training. Why would it be any different with our spiritual life? These passages challenge Christians to understand the Christian life as a race: a long-term commitment that is more successful when we "train" ourselves daily with Bible study, prayer, and other spiritual disciplines. Running helps me put spiritual truths to my life.  When Jesus was talking about taking up your cross and following Him, it wasn't pretty. He was spit upon, dirty, whipped, thirsty. This is how I felt during the race.  But, like He did, I kept putting one foot in front of the other, pushing to the end. I hope to inspire you too, not only to get healthy physically but also spiritually as life is the race that really matters.

2 timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment