Thursday, May 9, 2013

Back in His Mommy's Arms

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. 
Psalm 73:26

Over the night Shaun woke up, was able to open his eyes and see his Mommy- Praise the Lord!, but then seizure activity started up again. In the morning the EEG showed that Shaun's seizure activity had become generalized.  So he went back into status epilepticus despite all the anticonvulsive medications that they have given him.  The doctors have decided they have done everything they can do to stop the seizures but that Shaun's brain has degenerated to a point where this won't stop.  They put him back up on the pentobarbital.. and while they could keep him forever in a coma on the ventilator with dopamine and other life supporting medications -- being in a constant seizure state would hurt.

Denise asked Shaun to tell her when he has had enough, and she said that our little Champion is done fighting this battle.   Stephen and Scottie were at the hospital today visiting with good friend, Krissy.  Denise has been able to talk with them, telling them that Shaun is ready to go be with Jesus and their big sister, Sarah, will be waiting for him with open arms.
Shaun getting fingerprinted by teacher Chelsea
The nursing staff unhooked Shaun from the EEG earlier today and Denise has been able to hold, hug and kiss her sweet boy - something that she has ached for during this entire hospital stay.   I heard from a friend that as Denise kissed sweet Shaun, you could see the corners of his mouth raise in a smile -- as if he knows that he is back in his Mommy's arms.
Shaun held by Krissy
Shaun and Mikey, who has been at the hospital with Shaun this entire admission
Shaun's family and close friends are gathering at the hospital tomorrow and Saturday to say good-bye to Shaun. Once everyone is there, they will change his status to DNR and take off the life-supporting measures while keeping him comfortable and to keep him from convulsions.
Tonight the boys are staying the night with Mikey at the Ronald McDonald house, while Shaun will move out of his crib and into a "big boy" bed so that he can sleep cuddled with his mommy... exactly where he wants to be.  Denise and Peter are heartbroken parents but know that this is his time, and Shaun won't have to suffer any longer.  Our Champion has run a good race and finished the task that God set out for him.   He has been such a fighter, with a loving and joyful spirit, and touched the lives of so many.  We praise God for Shaun's life, and pray that "the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and God of all comfort" will be ever close to Shaun and his family and friends especially today and in the days to come (2 Corinthians 1).

14 comments:

  1. May the Lord bless and keep you, little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is breaking for you, darling Denise. Love and tears and lots of prayers. Warm hugs, Nonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Champ!
    Cheering you on from Korea, buddy!
    (and praying for your family as they cheer you on too)
    We Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "There is strength for the weary, hope for the helpless, and peace for the broken heart, there is grace and forgiveness, mercy and healing, He'll meet you wherever you are. Cry out to Jesus, Cry out to Jesus. (Third Day) God Speed, grandson! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. It sounds like they have peace that surpasses understanding. I haven't read enough to know what happened to their daughter, Shaun's older sister. But I can't imagine the heart break they must be experiencing. God's faithfulness never falls short no matter the crisis or pain or trauma. My prayers will be with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you and your sweet family. Lifting you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart is breaking dear cousin. Being there with you after Sarah went to be with the Lord then there when Stephen was born.. we have shared so much. I wish I was with you now. You and your family are in our prayers and we love you so much. Give all your dear boys an extra hug tonight from me. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you all. May the God of peace and all comfort fill that hospital room to overflowing with love. I am with you in heart. Big hug to you, Denise! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, I'm so glad to see you were able to finger print your sweet boy! my heart breaks for your family, but you continue to amaze me at your strength and living testimony, I can only imagine the countless number of others little Shaun's life had touched in an incredible way. to God be the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May God wrap His big loving arms around all of you today and give you unspeakable comfort during this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. God bless you guys, and I'm thankful God took Shaun home where he will suffer no more. May God give you immediate peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denise- I am envisioning Shaun running in Heaven with his sister and chattering away about his amazing brothers- Superhero Scottie and Stephen the Rockstar Performer. I also see him with you and your family in the days and years to come- resting on the shoulders of his brothers while they play basketball and baseball, and ride bikes in the neighborhood while laughing, and, yes, even while playing the Wii. And, I see him quietly looking on while you bake at Christmastime and while you sing in church. May you and your family be surrounded by peace and love today. May you also spend this time in celebration of the precious gift of Shaun's life, given by God.
    Loving arms await you in Berryville, Denise. And, I love what Jarrod said- we are cheering you on from Berryville, Shaun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read a few entries & wanted to say that I am impressed with strength & faith of this family. You are truly an inspiration to me. I will share your son's story as you wish! Your family will be in my prayers & God Bless you!
    From Aroostook County ,Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for you guys that God's peace and love will sustain you. Although I do not know you, as a Christian and a parent, my heart weeps for you.

    ReplyDelete