Thursday, May 2, 2013

Seizures

"Today was a terrible day..." This was one of the first things that Denise told me on the phone tonight.

The day started with a fever, which is not completely uncommon for Shaun... but then while the Hospice nurse was visiting in the morning, Shaun started having grand mal seizures.  Denise and the nurse maxed Shaun out on the home meds he could have but was unable to get control of his seizures, so they called 911 (per Dr advice). The paramedics also were unable to control the seizures, so they took Shaun to Winchester hospital.  The doctors at Winchester tried as well with anti-convuslants, but were unsuccessful in controlling Shaun's seizures and therefore he took a life-flight to UVA, with his anxious parents driving as quickly as possible to get to Charlottesville.  Shaun was taken to the PICU at UVA.  After some time of unsuccessfully stopping these seizures (he was knocked out on a sedative but every time he woke up he would start seizing again), the doctors decided Shaun needed to be put into a medically induced coma with pentobarbital for the next 24-36 hours to allow his brain to rest, and when they wake him up, hopefully the seizures will not reoccur.

Shaun has a continuous EEG monitoring his brainwaves - as they are looking for signs that the anti-convulsives are working.  Pray that they work.

The doctors have not been able to determine why this has happened - Shaun is too unstable to have any scans of his brain done currently since he has been seizing all day.  Pray that the doctors have wisdom to know what course of treatment for Shaun, to determine why this has happened, and to prevent it from reoccurring in the future.

Shaun is on a ventilator, but we need to continue to pray that his oxygenation/CO2 levels remain where they should be.

Shaun's fever returned later in the day, so the doctors are looking for infection.  Pray that his body is able to fight off whatever pathogens may be coming against him!

As we all lift up Shaun, let's remember Denise - who is Shaun's constant companion in the hospital; Peter who went from work to one hospital then to the other and now back home to help with the other boys; Stephen, who is worried about his brother and misses his Mom; and Scottie, who witnessed a scary seizure at home and has a really hard time when Mommy is gone.  For all of them, it is so hard to see Shaun this way, not knowing when his last day will come and fearing that any day could be it.  But for now, life goes on while Shaun is "sleeping" and Denise is trying to rest as best as possible in the hospital. May they hold on to the Lord and be quieted by the Redeemer and Preserver of life.

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters. 
He restores my soul: He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are will me, Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  
You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil, my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.  Psalm 23

Today was terrible...bleak...dark.  But God is still an ever-present help, and we trust Him for tomorrow, whatever may come.

No comments:

Post a Comment